Monday, August 28, 2023

RPGaDay2023 rounding out the month

 We all knew I wouldn't keep up with this. So, here's the missing entries and the final entries!


Day 19, Favorite Published Adventure: the aforementioned Dead Ops

Day 20, Game I will still play in 20 years: if I’m still shambling, All Flesh Must Be Eaten

Day 21, Favorite Licensed RPG: I don’t have one. I guess I could say Alien, as it is the current hotness. GURPS Horseclans is a great example of how to screw up a licensed gameline. Buffy helped get me where I am in the industry after starting with AFMBE. Ghosts of Albion is my favorite, published version of the cinematic Unisystem game lines. Army of Darkness was fun to playtest. Flash Gordon and the Warriors of Mongo is a beautiful series using the old newspaper artwork. Nocturnals is great.

There are simply too many for me to pick a favorite. Very few stand out as great. I find licensed IPs to be a distraction at the table.

Day 22, Best Secondhand RPG: Kult, 1st edition

 Day 23, Coolest Looking RPG product / book: Mork Borg

Day 24, Simple / Complex RPG you own: anything created by TSR or WotC is more complicated than it needs to be and any game claiming to be simple, isn’t

Day 25, Unplayed RPG you own: too many, the various XX_Borgs, ACK, Unknown Armies, and more (though I’ve stolen ideas from all of them)

Day 26, Favorite Character Sheet: Wasted Lands: The Dreaming Age. It’s simple though elegant

Day 27, Game you’d like a new edition of: All Flesh Must Be Eaten, because I want to write and produce it!

Day 28, Scariest game I’ve played: the scariest games have all been due to gameplay and not due to rules. The scariest was one of the first “creature feature” games I ran using cWoD rules as the players tried to hunt down Sam Haight through mirrors and umbral realms from Hell.

Day 29, Most Memorable Encounter: I was running a one-shot of AFMBE (ostensibly, but really, it also had elements of CJ Carella’s Armageddon and CJ Carella’s WitchCraft in it) that I wrote with Derek Guder that contained a flashback scene (pro-tip: don’t). At one point during the flashback, one character shot the other character in the face. I had to react quick to save the game. I saved the game and secured a whole bunch of friendship out of that session!

Day 30, Obscure RPG you’ve played: Obsidian: The Age of Judgement

Day 31, Favorite RPG of all time: All Flesh Must Be Eaten. I can’t help myself.


No comments: