Monday, August 3, 2015

#RPGaDay2015 Day 3 Favorite New Game of the past 12 Months

#RPGaDay2015 Day 3 Favorite New Game of the past 12 Months

From the ad blurb:
Civilization came crashing down. Billions died.

A new Dark Age has begun. The descendants of the apocalypse's survivors scavenge the remnants of the Before Times, struggling to build a new life amidst the ruins of the old. In a savage world where the strong ravage and exploit the weak, the survivors' settlements are oases, connected only by convoys of armed and armored vehicles that run the gauntlet of raiders... and worse.

Though the threats of chemical and biological agents and radiation have all but faded, their taint lingers on in every mutant born to man and beast.


This is the world of Atomic Highway.



My newest favorite game could be Radioactive Ape Designs' Atomic Highway. It's a crazy, rules light, game of the apocalypse with badass cars. So, it's Mad Max or a version of Max and that's okay by me. 

The game is by Colin Chapman. He's a good guy who spent many years promoting Buffy and Angel in his local area. At one time, he was probably one of my top three choices to write adventure products for those lines (not that it was my choice), because I enjoyed what he was doing with his games. 

There is a supplement for it, Irradiated Freaks, that adds rules for mutants, crazies, monsters, and more. 

I don't know when I discovered Atomic Highway, but I purchased it (it's free) within the past year. The content made me more excited for Mad Max:  Fury Road. When the movie came out, it helped pump me up for the next game I hope to run. I'm tentatively titling it Wastelands of the Apocalypse. I plan to use Unisystem or my own game system to run it. 

So, in review:  Mad Max, Colin Chapman, Inspiration to run more games, and maybe a large influence of what I purchased at GenCon2015. 

I think I'll call that a win.

No comments: