For the unawares, the Bodyguard of Lies series consists of three books, published for the first edition of the Conspiracy X game line. (there was also a GURPS edition) Each book contained different things.
- BoL 1 has the widest variety of things: new skills, credentials, traits, resources, an article on alternate weapon ranges, including alien technology with resource points, informational sources, fear and insanity rules, pool and loci manifestations, hazardous materials rules, and finally a mission titled Psi-Wars. The book is 124 pages total and the mission is 77 pages long.
- BoL 2 starts with a short story and then moves on to new player characters, alchemy rules, skill defaults, skill categories, new traits, new trainings, revised skills for weapons skills, and a mission into the bayou named Mokole'. The book is 136 pages total and the mission is 71 pages long.
- BoL 3 contains only two works: an article on toxins and rules and a ready to run adventure titled Synergy. The book is 160 pages total and the adventure is 96 pages long.
All three are priced at $5.60 a piece on DriveThruRPG.com for Acrobat files of the books. You may be able to find print copies at Noble Knight Games or other retailers of used roleplaying game products.
In my opinion, if you are looking for ready to run scenario that you can use as is or modify for your group, these are good choices. However, Conspiracy X 2.0 roleplayers will need to convert the rules to 2.0 rules. This can easily be done with your own creativity or you can peruse Eden Studios Presents: Volume One and see how Jason Little did it with his adventure, Tiger Eye. You may have received this book back in 2014 around Halloween when we gave it away for free. If you did not and do not yet own it, it's priced at $7.50 for the Acrobat file on DriveThruRPG.
So, back to BoL 4. If there's anything you'd like to contribute, let me know. I'm looking at an October 31st deadline for writers.
If you are thinking of writing a scenario, here is the general outline you can use. If you need our style guide, let me know and I can email it to you.
· Chapter One: Introduction
o Intro blurb
o Chapter Summary
o How to Use
o Synopsis: Outlines the background of entire mission in one place for ease of understanding. While Directors should read the entire module before running it, this section provides a basic overview of the goal of the mission and what has gone before.
· Chapter Two: Catalyst describes the events that draw the agents into the adventure. Opening scenes and continuing afflictions are detailed. The agents soon realize that ignoring the warning signs gets more dangerous as more time passes.
· Chapter Three: Investigation presents all the information characters may uncover through pulling strings, sources, research, and legwork. The information is organized in a series of bulletins about each aspect of the mission, rather than a set pattern of encounters. The Director is expected to determine what particular information is uncovered depending on the particular path and success of the agents’ investigation. Summaries of the groups involved are located in this chapter; providing the Director with background information on their actions and motives should the agents interact with them.
· Chapter Four: Conflicts & Obstacles lists a series of possible events and encounters the Director can use at any time or certain prescribed times to impede or aid the agents. These events and encounters do not always relate to the adventure. Others are only loosely tied to the plot. This is the Director’s change to throw in red herrings should the characters be advancing too quickly.
· Chapter Five: Climax & Resolution is a combined section since the climax of the adventure generally leads to the resolution. This climactic event is designed to spark the agents toward dramatic resolution of the situation. While the events may differ slightly from group to group, it will typically involve the same basic elements. Resolution also describes the probable results dependent on the agents’ actions and successes.
Chapter Six: Supplemental Investigations reveals a series of further adventures that could transform this adventure into a full-fledged campaign. Allowing characters to explore related topics and events, and interweaving plot threads suggested in other books greatly extends the adventure.